file conversion

Hi all, I have a question  :)  but first I must do a bit of explaining.

I am doing some genealogical research on a relative I never met but it appears he played a part in my interest in photography.  I found a website that has pages of old newspapers and it mentions his name in a number of issues.  I am on dial-up (important later on), I cannot copy/paste the pages into an email--I can 'grab & slide' each page into an email.  If I send it to myself, it can be saved as a bmp & jpg.  Or if I just save it as a bmp, later I can go back and resave it as a jpg.  Now, to send it takes about 15 minutes, to open it to enable saving--takes another 15 minutes.  It's a rather long process but I thought I had found a much simplier solution.  I can just rt click on the paper page and then left click on save and it saves as a bmp.  I went wild and got all the bmp pages but afterward discovered I cannot convert those into jpgs!

In order to do a collage of 1 liners, block ads, and my (inherited) family photos, I need the jpgs--I cannot 'do things' to the paper bmps that I would like to do before making a collage which I intend to turn into a large photo and frame.  Now for the question, does anyone have or know of a program that will convert bmps to jpgs?  I have Adobe Elements, Corel PSP but the programs will not show a jpg for saving of the SAVED versions.  Only when I send it to myself will it do that--what I'm trying to do is avoid all the time involved in sending and opening.
Any help in suggesting a program to use would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks to all :) Linda B.

(http://living.aol.com/video/how-to-please-your-picky-eater/rachel-campos-duffy/2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)