Dirty Slides

IIRC - Up to a certain year Kodacrome slides were varnished.  Most of the
dirt and damage was to the varnish.  Kodak recommended a varnish remover a
quick rinse and then revarnishing; Kodak sold a varnish for this purpose.
It worked well.   They discontinued the varnishing at some point, maybe in
the eighties and so you couldn't continue with this process.   My experience
was  any cleaning caused more damage than the dirt.  I found just blowing
them off and maybe a brush and then scanning produced the best results.  I
found on real bad slides Nikon ICE and ROC worked fantastically well.  For
some reason after a number of slides ICE started to produce 'patterns'.  I
would reboot the scanner and it would work for a while again.  I've used
alcohol and acetone and PEC 12 and Edwal antistatic Film Cleaner.  They all
worked and although the slides would look cleaner the overall pictures would
be less usable than the scans.  Water seemed to be even be more troublesome.
Just my thoughts, might be all wrong.  Good shooting,  Morley