Re: News in the 1910's - books

Don,

I saw a finished Blurb book that was very nice - a friend did the
catalog for her MFA show in Graphic design.  The free program is easy to
use. I have experience with layout programs - at first glance it may
seem intimidating for some but they have it so a beginner can just
drag-and-drop a good looking book.

I did a short test book of images first. I needed to see how across the
gutter pans and various B/W combinations looked. Turns out if you allow
1/4in. overlap at the gutter, pans look fine. B/W is a diffrent story.
The over-all densities are OK but color varies under different viewing
lights. All the B/W are sent RGB the same as color prints. Most
photographers I showed the books to said the B/W quality was acceptable.

One thing I learned that will make the job go better is to organize the
JPEG's in book directories before you start. You format them according
to Blurb recommendations and re-save them in the book's own directory.
Also give them clear names. After that it's a breeze.

I have two more books in the works one on petroglyphs and the other is
volume two of "Waiting Images".  I also plan to keep all my best digicam
stuff up-dated in books. I think 8 x 10, 50-60 pages makes a nice
edition size. I think it would be way cool to work towards having sets
of 4-5 of these volumes in slip cases. BTW I don't plan to market the
books, just to have them for the record. Also I'm hoping to trade them
with other artist friends.

AZ

Build a 120/35mm Lookaround!
The Lookaround Book.