Re: Photographers Still Using Film

I have used film since I started in 1966. I use digital to move final prints to the digital realm for publication and marketing. I don't have the pocket book or experience for digital.

Using film for alternate processes is possible, but to get there cost wise is too much. I spent $5000 on my newest LF camera and won't have to upgrade it before I die. If I had digital cameras I would feel that I might need to upgrade every 3-5 years. Ouch.

A sheet of the finest 20x24 silver paper may cost me $4, the same for a similar size digital paper could be between $6-$9.  I don't have to buy ink, printers, computers, hard drives, etc. nor do I have pressures on my time (more or less) to produce my work (important point for commercial photo folks).

I have a vastly superior skill set using film than I have using digital. I shoot 99.9% Black and White. That gives me several stops of coverage in shadow and highlight that would (as far as I know) not be possible in digital without several gyrations. It costs me 10 cents to store each negative from my 8x10 and 15 cents for a 12x20 negative. A decent digital back for my 4x5 could cost me $12k and again, who knows how long till it needed a replacement or an upgrade.

So for me, film is really the way to go.

Cheers
--
Robert Hall
www.RobertHall.com