Re: Why Some Photographers Hate Creative Commons

Alexander Georgiadis wrote:

I have never been a fan of Creative Commons licensing. This article by some guy called Scott, does a great job of articulating why it sucks:
http://rising.blackstar.com/why-photographers-hate-creative-commons.html

On my website I reserve all rights to my work. Wanna use my stuff? Ask me.

That's fine. I'm a fan of creative commons licensing myself; but an important element of the program, so far as I'm concerned, is that it's *voluntary*. I don't offer most of my work under CC myself (I'm an amateur photographer). On the other hand, my last appearance in a book by a stranger was because the author found the photo she wanted on Wikipedia and tracked it back to me and paid me to use it in her book (the wikipedia version wasn't all that high-res, I haven't CCd a full-res version of anything). (I say "book by a stranger" because author photos of people who are friends both happen much more often, and aren't the same thing as somebody who doesn't know me choosing to use one of my photos in their book.)

I know there are people around who feel that copyright shouldn't exist *at all*. I consider them kooks, personally. I do feel the term has become immensely too long, to the point where copyright is keeping a lot of interesting stuff UNavailable (I know people who have spent immense amounts of effort *trying* to find the rights owner on a story they wanted to include in a fiction anthology, and sometimes ended up leaving the story out because they couldn't find who owned the rights.) And I do feel that art building on other art is terribly important. Shakespeare did it, and Tom Stoppard does it now, and essentially every other artist does it too -- sometimes to the point where copyright would stop them if it still applied, sometimes now. Shutting that down completely would really stifle art.

Intellectual property law is going through rather a ferment just now, and at the moment it's moved towards being far too strict and far too long-lasting, in my opinion. But I'm not in favor of throwing it out entirely, that's crazy talk.

Dragaera: http://dragaera.info