Re: sort of strange question

Formyrotts@xxxxxxx wrote:
Ok, if you take pictures of people you need permission to use them, but if you take pictures of 'body parts' do you still need permission? I mean, who is to say who owns the hands you are shooting? Or does it matter where you take them? If you take them in public is it alright to use? But then again if say, you are at a wedding and shoot just hands, are they not in public domain? Just wondering (well, not just, but wondering). Thanks to anyone who can help. Linda

Where you take them does not matter. (Well, possibly you could take them in circumstances that also constituted criminal trespass, or such; that'd be bad, so don't do it. But there aren't places that magically make it okay.)

The question on body details is whether they're identifiable. In addition to obvious things (scars, tatoos, piercings) that might make things unique, I think you might discover that the hands of a top "hand model" were recognizable to anybody in the industry at least. I don't know of specific case law on that situation, but it probably doesn't matter either since a top hand model isn't going to just stand around without saying anything while you shoot pictures of their hands unofficially.

Dragaera: http://dragaera.info