Re: PF exhibit on 08/12/07

At 3:50 PM -0500 12/13/07, PhotoRoy6@xxxxxxx wrote:
But why would one want to upload an image that is on the verge of collapsing if one wants to sell the images as prints? Of course I live in a college town where at one point half the bandwidth on campus was taken up by (illegal) music downloads so I might be more paranoid. I sell pictures of campus thru local stores and have never posted any of these images to net.
Roy

Bingo.

<rant>

Karl just will never get it. He must be a computer geek first and photographer second and I think he's not self-employed. He's apparently never had to think about who owns his property so he thinks there's no problem with stripping out the metadata.

Boy, I'd almost be willing to give up my copyright, at least for my more mundane work, in exchange for a regular paycheck of around $2,000/week. Especially if my employer paid for all my equipment and kept it up-to-date and sent me to conferences and workshops, and gave me 4 weeks paid vacation and sick leave and health insurance. And if I didn't have to drum up customers?! Boy would that be great. I might even be willing to do that for $1500/week.

Instead, a recent customer wants a 5x7.5 print in 8x10 mat for $45 + shipping. A reasonable, competitive price.

But the Toyota people want $90 to replace the spring that releases the latch on the trunk lid of my 10 year old car.

Something is wrong with this picture. One thing that's wrong is that people don't recognize the value of creative, artistic work. They think it should all be free. Especially in academia where the parents are paying the bills or they get a salary.

</rant>
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx