Gallery comments

Howard Leigh
Three Sisters 2007:  "Adorable" is too obvious a way to describe these little girls, however true it is.  The girls have wonderful expressions on their faces - very natural.  There really isn't much to say except I keep returning to the photograph and want to give each of the little girls a hug.  You are right, Howard, black and white is much more effective that color would have been, I think.   This is a wonderful photograph.

Dan Mitchell
Evening Light:  The color is amazing, but this photograph surprises me in another way.  Usually, I don't like phone wires and poles (I am always cursing them where I live - what a mess!), but in this photograph they add interest.   They lead my eyes through the photograph, and kind of say, "Look at this" - like arms spreading wide, inviting viewers to really look.

D.L. Shipman
Beyond here there be dragons:  Another thoughtfully done photograph.  I can see the dragon.  At first I thought everything was covered with snow, but now think, that because it was taken in Florida, you must have used infra red film.  I like thinking of it as snow.  Great photograph, no matter which it is - infra red film or snow.

Emily L. Ferguson
Winter sleep:  The naturalness of this photograph is what makes it so enchanting.  The window light, the two cats curled up together, the flowers.  Very nice.  If it were me, I'd crop a little off the bottom of the image.  For me, this makes the cats more the center of attention (and isn't that where cats always want to be {:->)

Linda Buttstead:  The winding river pulls my eyes all the way through this photograph.  The image is relaxing and the composition really emphasizes this.  For a perfect photograph you need a bird or boat to be floating somewhere in the water.  The Photograph/river/bird/boat gods just weren't smiling on you this day.  A good photograph, regardless.

Tim Mulholland
MMOCA/Madison Museum of Contemporary Art:  A nice clean, interesting image.  Would it have worked better if the top of the "A" (upper right hand corner) had been centered in the upper right hand angle of the frame?  Just wondering.

Kostas Papakotas
Still Life Exercise:  Well composed and lit , no harsh shadows anywhere, but nice tonalities throughout.  (I had to smile - the photograph makes me think of the phrase - beating one's head against a stone wall.  I know just how your "model" feels).

Qkano
Archival Quality:  You could crop the frame to a square format so each side around the circle was equal, but the rectangular frame doesn't bother me.  I like the fall off of the light and the texture of the stone frame around the window.  A nice, right-on exposure.

Thank you to all who contributed to the site, and many tanks to Andy and staff for hanging the show.

Marilyn

If all the beasts were gone, men would die from a great loneliness of spirit, for whatever happens to the beasts also happens to man.  Whatever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.
Chief Seattle of the Suwamish Tribe.