Re: PHOTOFORUM digest 4644

I also have a portrait in a frame with bowed glass with an interesting
history.  The photograph is of my grandfather's 11 year old brother.  A
traveling photographer took photographs "on speculation" of my grandfather
and each of his siblings in 1940.  My grandfather's family was very poor and
could not afford such a luxury, however, before the photographer could
return with the finished photographs, my grandfather's brother was climbing
a fence while hunting with a friend, the friend's gun fired, killing my
young great-uncle instantly.  The community where they lived (in Coles
county Illinois) pooled their money and purchased the $40 framed, hand
tinted portrait for his parents.  My grandfather passed away in 1980 and my
grandmother is in a nursing home. As the family photographer, I inherited
the portrait.  This past Thanksgiving, my brothers were wondering about what
might be behind the portrait as my grandmother was notorious for "stacking"
portraits.  The thought of removing the back was discussed, but after closer
inspection, it appears the photograph is attached to the glass, and the back
is a piece of cardboard that I am sure was put in place sometime after the
purchase and is held in place with rusty old straight nails.  So the
decision was made to leave well enough alone.
~Angi~

Angi Turnpaugh
Pharos-Tribune Staff Photographer
(574)722-5000 ext 5152