Re: Comments on my photo on 11/03/07

3 nov 2007 kl. 18.17 skrev Emily L. Ferguson:

At 5:47 PM +0100 11/3/07, Elgenper wrote:
...Can´t identify those small yellow triangles in (on) the water; I ´d have been tempted to clone them out...

Just for the info. If there's enough water to flood the bogs (which has been up in the air this year as the previous week's image reported) the growers then bring machines onto the bogs to beat the berries off the vines. The beating part of the machine is hard to describe - basically it's a little like an electric cake mixer but horizontal and about 4 feet long, on the front of the machine. It has 4 pieces of metal tubing spokes and rotates as the machine goes up and down the bog, the spokes sort of act like a scythe to liberate the berries from the vines.

Now, the bogs have irrigation trenches throughout them, and the trenches are about 2 feet deeper than the bog. One can't see where the trenches are when the bog is full of water, of course, so to keep the machines from falling into the trenches while they're going up and down the bog, the growers put these little yellow plastic flags along the edges of the trenches. The flags, of course, stick up above the water level.

So those little yellow triangles are not something anyone would want to clone out, at least from the perspective of the cranberry grower!

Well, you Americans seem to have invented machines for everything.... Considering the number of turkeys that suddenly find themselves on a table about now, I suppose you HAVE to be efficient....

And cloning out those markers would be just as welcome as cloning a yellow shallows marker out of a harbour approach....

We all learn about one another´s cultural background in this international forum.... isn´t that great?

Regards,

Per Öfverbeck
http://ofverbeck.se

"In a world without walls or fences, who needs Windows or Gates?"