Re: Linda's Comment + Image Title

Linda,

No need to apologize, most every comment tells me something.  The theme of the image is very culturally specific (and, in context, the use of the foot might actually offend some people), and might elude some people.  I ought to consider that when contributing, I've been in the East so long I often forget what stands for assumption.  The title is appropriate, and people familiar with the holiday celebrating the close of the Holy Month of Ramadan would certainly get the message (everything shuts down in the Muslim world on this holiday as it is a time for family and celebration).  Thanks for taking the time to think about it.

A question for all here:  if you have to title the image to get the message to your audience, has the image already failed before presentation?  Just wondering about this.  I usually shoot pretty standard travel shots that document locations or landscapes...not much of a people person.  The titles, if any, are either labels or somewhat clinical or numbered.  Here I tried to catch a little culture.  Not easy to do, and I have nothing but respect for those that do it well.  Images that speak of the human condition and soul (Bresson comes to mind) often transcend their cultural details, much like literature transcends time.  Is it an insult to title a photograph?  If so, to who?  I felt really wierd about titling it.  When I saw the image before shooting, I already knew my intentions...without a title.

Perhaps it would make a good holiday greeting card?  Personally, I'm astonished by the clarity and color saturation in the image.  Being a monochrome film guy, this digital world is very new to me.

Cheers...Trevor

Formyrotts@xxxxxxx wrote:
Trevor Cunningham

Idul Fitri Pause

Ok, I just can't see anything to this one other then a foot--no special message, sorry.

"The optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears it's true" - J Robert Oppenheimer