RE: PF exhibit on 13 OCT 07

See below

From: owner-photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of PhotoRoy6@xxxxxxx
Sent: 15 October 2007 04:45
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
Subject: Re: PF exhibit on 13 OCT 07

In a message dated 10/13/2007 6:52:52 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, christopher.strevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

  Emily L. Ferguson - Guardian Fence

I do not understand the photo is the fruit on the ground melons? Have they
been cut off something or do they grow out of the ground like that? Are
those trees the last of the wood to be cut? I've never seen the crop in the
ground so I don't know.

Chris.

The "trees" are the new world crop called corn. The "melons"  on the ground are pumpkins which are in the squash family and are also native to the new world.

I did not realize that ‘corn’ was different from ‘wheat’. I had heard of ‘pumpkins’ but I thought it was another name for ‘melon’. I have not seen either in the flesh. I saw corn growing in surrey once but did not know it was called ‘corn’ there is a big seed stalk growing out of the side of the tree grass stalk. I actually bought one but found it inedible, I believe you cook them and by throwing the seeds into hot fat you get ‘corn flakes’ or ‘puff corn’ I’ve also heard of ‘corn on the cob’ but I’ve yet to find how to eat it. Wheat is big grass, we do have pampas grass growing next door but it has not spread.

Melons do not grow here but cucumbers do, they are sort of similar.

You cut up pumpkins after extracting the soft bits inside (do you eat the seeds?) and make lanterns for the New World festival involving “trick or treat” which goes down as vandalism here. Is that right?

Chris.