Difference between Canon EOS 30D and 40D

According to the sales person I asked in a UK high street photography chain (Jessops), the difference is that as the lens on the 40D is so much bigger, it lets in more light. I clarified that I was was asking about cameras, and he reiterated, very patronisingly, that "the lens. It lets in more light. You get better photos because of it"

Later, I spoke to the store manager apologised for his salesman, and went on to explain that they weren't experts.

I am going back to my policy of using Jessops to play with the kit and buying it elsewhere from places who know what they are selling.

Am