RE: need suggestions

Well, there are a lot of reasons to shoot news, whether one is instinctively drawn to shooting people or not. When I began at the paper I had no experience shooting sports, and little experience with people. By the end, shooting people was very interesting and learning to do it ethically and journalistically was an extremely valuable skill which I have needed repeatedly since then. By the end, shooting base/softball, basketball, track and field, cross country and tennis were all great pleasures, while I was clear that I had a visceral nearly hatred of shooting violent sports like football, ice hockey, field hockey and lax.

Given the opportunity to resume shooting for a paper I'd leap at it again. Such work is full of variety, technical challenges, opportunities to master niche skills like sports and accurate flash lighting with minimal equipment, the joy of telling a complete story with images, editing, and often simply having to crank out something more than a snapshot to a deadline. Newspaper work is a small part of news journalism, and eventually print will die in the western world and news image journalists will be using high quality video capture for everything - already the web demands many skills from still shooters that were simply unimagined 5 years ago and still shooters lose their jobs if they don't adapt.

Lea, do the job - but be careful about your copyright. Most papers will claim it and you may have to decide what to do about that. Until they put you on payroll and offer some bennies, you should do your best to hang on to your rights to the rest of the shoot, since you will be unable to hang on to the rights to the images they use.

Also, your recompense will be embarrassing. But there's nearly nothing to be done about that, since after you are 4 others behind you just waiting for the opportunity.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx