Re: PF Exhibit update 09-22-07

Hi again, everyone. I got a little bit more of a jump on the one this week.
Looks like another great collective performance! I hope I'm not the only
reviewer this time; the submissions are certainly of the quality that would
merit more than just the following response...

----- ------- -----
"By any other name..." by Howard Leigh

Ah, yes, an elephant! ;-) This is a great closeup, Howard. Nothing wrong
with using an old lens on a new camera. You've got the center focused
sharply, and the use of shallow depth-of-field works wonderfully here. The
only thing that bothers me is the amount of in-camera cropping. By lopping
off part of the petals on all four sides, yet including the chunks of
background, my mind is telling me it wants to see more. As an alternative
(which may be more desirable when faced with such an irregularly-shaped
subject), you could have cropped in even more to produce an entirely pink
frame. In that case, the image would have maintained its solidarity; the
crop would have looked to be completely deliberate. The way it is presented
here, it looks as if the cropping was either accidental or due to some level
of your equipment's limitations, as opposed to being your intended final
image. Other than that, your exposure and color balance is perfect, as is
the softness of the light.

----- ------- -----
"Ocean Side in Sri Lanka" by Quintin Tallon

If memory serves, this is the first submission we've seen from you, Quintin.
If so, welcome to the Gallery! You have uploaded a wonderful photograph, at
that: the woman's gaze, the warm toned lighting, the apparent breeze, it
provides the perfect opportunity for a well-timed shutter release. You have
done well with this. The depth-of-field is perfect; she is sharply focused,
as the horizon fades off in the distance. Your composition is great, with
the angle of the fence rails adding to the overall "direction" of the photo.
Her left hand creates a point of interest, fingers spread out, forefinger
and thumb "touching" the seaside foliage. There's really nothing I can
suggest for improvement here. The mood, exposure, composition, all superb.
Excellent work!

----- ------- -----
"Rita" by Qkano

Bob, Rob, Qkano, Mr. T., etc., this is a great cast portrait. Please credit
yourself with what is due, and pass on the rest to those involved. You
nailed the lighting and composition of this photo. The red dress and
lipstick is the perfect complement to her eyes, and the jewelry is just the
right amount and color to break it all up a little. As it seems you didn't
photograph the actress, but the character, I'd like to know more about the
character's personality upon seeing this. Her body language suggests she is
a bit distraught, perhaps even lost. The relatively plain background forces
a focal point on the woman, but a different color may have been more
effective than the white. Her shadow, even being a little faint, is a tad
distracting. You have framed this one up nicely, and gave it the proper
in-camera treatment. Great job!

----- ------- -----
"4ledspider 001" by Bob Sull

This looks like a good test of the Lightwave 4. I'm curious about the
settings you used; the image has an overall noisy RGB pattern, and the
spider looks like it is either slightly out of focus or captured with a
little too long of a shutter speed. As for composition, there's a lot of
empty space on all four sides. If the web were more visible, perhaps a 1:1.5
vertically-oriented aspect ratio would improve the photo's presentation. A
decent experimental test shot, but I'm not sure how far-reaching its other
applications may be.

----- ------- -----
"Back Bay Layers" by J Michael Sullivan

I am intrigued by this photograph. From a design standpoint alone, it's
really well done. In a historical context, the image appears to overlay
space with time: front-to-back apparently equals old-to-new. And then there
is the sky, which is both in front of and behind the entire array, whether
explicitly or implicitly, and of course fits either position. From a
photographic standpoint, the overall exposure is pretty darn close to
right-on. I would have liked to see more light on the foreground buildings,
as they are constructed of darker materials, and in shadow. A good time for
a massive reflector (or softbox), or maybe a quick selective lightening in
PS (although I'm a semi-closet-purist). I really like the composition, as
the frame edges coincide with the physical edges of the structures, and
everything is nicely vertical (OK, what was it? A shiftable lens? A vantage
point 5 miles away? PhotoShop? Do tell!) The 6x7 format is excellent for
this, and I would love to see a poster-sized enlargement. You have done a
tremendous job with this one, Michael.

----- ------- -----
"'50's sport cars at Meadow Brook Concours, Michigan" by Alan Zinn

Hey there, Mr. Lookaround! I absolutely love the perspective of this one.
The day's weather doesn't look like it was the most favorable, but somewhere
between what it was and clear would have probably been ideal. I know, I
know. You can't control the weather. It does, however, look like you picked
one of the best cars to photograph. It's clearly the main point of interest,
and, thanks to the camera/lens, appears to be driving right onto my
keyboard. The only issue I have with this is the scattered collection of
onlookers, who are more of a distraction to me than a useful agent to
establish the environment. Perhaps if it were sweeping off to the right a
little more, even though I admit I don't know what was there. Although some
would disagree, I rather like the reflection of the unique camera in the
car. It seems like a tongue-in-cheek way to show off special machines on
multiple levels. Exposure looks great, and I think you have done a fine job
with this one, Alan.

----- ------- -----
"Badland's Golden Sunset" by Tim Mulholland

Tim, this really exhibits some spectacular color! I love the way this image
is broken into horizontal bands of alternating colors, and punctuated by the
lone tree and shrub in the fore 1/3 of the setting. Your composition is
perfect with the 6x7 format, and depth of field could not be better. A great
many years ago, I was loaned a Fuji 6x17 panoramic, and always regretted not
being able to get to Badlands to burn a few hundred dollars' worth of film.
I can't recommend any improvements to this image. Exposure, contrast,
composition all look great. Even the slight tilt of the horizon line seems
to "correct" the angle of the valley creeping through the center of the
frame. Very nicely done!

Well, that just about does it for my preliminary comments regarding this
week's Gallery! Once again, I thank Andy and his staff for putting it
together, and especially for these seven brave souls who, by posting their
work, put their reputations on the line so that we could all be enlightened.
I am looking forward to the ensuing discussions!

Yours very truly,
Darin Heinz
Melbourne, Florida USA