computing & wasted space

I was looking at hard drive space and my file allocation table today and
thought since we're all using computers, and computers are a part of
digital imageing, and digital imaging is a part of photography then this
may be relevant (and possibly useful info ;).

I have a Windows 98 box for *most* of my main computing and from time to
time I run a little low on space before I copy the bigger files off to
another drive, but I decided to see how much free space I could gain if I
cleared off the *little* files.

What got me going on this was an awareness that FAT32, the particular file
allocation table (FAT) structure win98 uses has some features which waste
space.  you see, each cluster on a hard drive formatted to fat 32 can
contain only *one* file.  A table at the beginning of a drive records where
each file is, or if a file is bigger than 32kb, which clusters the file is
spread across.

from the microsoft site:
"The maximum possible number of clusters on a volume using the FAT32 file
system is 268,435,445. With a maximum of 32 KB per cluster with space for
the file allocation table (FAT), this equates to a maximum disk size of
approximately 8 terabytes (TB). "

so what is the problem?  well a 1kb file is going to put on your hard drive
and it will occupy 32kb of space.  Not an issue if your PC never chats to
the internet, but unfortunately, the net has a habit of scattering all
manner of dribble across a computer, not all of which is cleared out even
when you ask a computer to clear it.

I thought I'd do a quick check to see how much space I was wasting and so
did a search for those horrid 1 x 1 pixel gifs we know as web bugs,
starting the search for *.gif 'at most' 1kb in size

I found 2261 of them.  that's 72 mb of hard drive real estate being hogged
by a mere 2Mb of data!  70 mb wasted!

I continued my search and found 168 jpegs under 1kb and 2625 text files
(search *.txt) under 1mb

then I did a search in temporary internet folder in windows AFTER clearing
it using the tool provided and the search maxed out at 10,000, most of them
Ca(xxxxxx) files which contained little or nothing at all so I searched for
them (search Ca*) and came up with 10,000 (the quantity limit of my search)
so they got deleted and I searched again
another 10,000
..and another 10,000*
delete another 10,000
9632 remaining..
delete them

searched some more and found a whole raft of files named in brackets like
this [46] so I
searched for [*.*

3108 files (deleted)

find another 900 by searching C:

search C: *.gif under 1kb (another 275)
2010 cookies under 1kb deleted..

how much space have I freed?  well I've deleted over 61,000 files that were
a mere 61 mb of 'data' but which occupied almost 2Gb of space on my hard
drive!  And none of those files were critical in any way, shape or form..

more on FAT32 - if you have a small hard drive, your clusters will be
smaller, bigger drives = bigger clusters

Cluster size Partition Size
2 KB         < 260 MB
4 KB         260 MB - 8 GB
8 KB         8 GB - 16 GB
16 KB        16 GB - 32 GB
32 KB        32 GB<

Apples using OSX as far as I can tell use a file allocation structure
similar to FAT32 or the older windows equivalent FAT16 (with 16kb clusters)
more here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hierarchical_File_System
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table

NTFS (windows 2000, XP and later) have a cluster size of 4kb, so a lot less
is wasted when there is lots of small files.

Of course the problem is not simply limited to teeny files but also files
which creep slightly over the cluster size - a 33kb file will occupy the
default 32kb cluster PLUS another cluster for the missing 1kb.  a waste..

Solution?  ZIP!~ :)

Any files not used regularly can be shackled together and compressed,
turning them into one big file and eliminating the wasted space - free
tools for this include 7zip (which has very high compression rates and can
write all manner of algorithms AND mac/unix users can use it) from
www.7zip.org

and if you find it's images you're zipping but feel that will cause
problems later when you want to view them, CDisplay
<http://www.geocities.com/davidayton/CDisplay> which can view images while
they are zipped, is free!
(Loads JPEG, PNG and static GIF images which are automatically ordered and
presented for viewing one at a time or two at a time. The images may be in
a zip, rar, ace or tar archive file - no need to decompress before
reading.)

just doing a search now for files under 4kb is size

"The number of files found exceeds the maximum allowed(10,000), please
refine your search"

sigh