and another display technology ..

http://www.technologyreview.com/Infotech/19337/?a=f

"Photonic crystals are being used by a Toronto startup to create commercial
devices that offer better color and resolution than other flexible
displays.
Scientists in Canada have used photonic crystals to create a novel type of
flexible electronic-paper display. Unlike other such devices, the
photonic-crystal display is the first with pixels that can be individually
tuned to any color.

"You get much brighter and more-intense colors," says André Arsenault, a
chemist at the University of Toronto and cofounder of Opalux, a
Toronto-based company commercializing the photonic-crystal technology,
called P-Ink.

With P-Ink, it's a different story. "We can get 100 percent of the area to
be red," Arsenault says. This is because each pixel can be tuned to create
any color in the visible spectrum. "That's a three-times increase in the
brightness of colors," he says. "It makes a huge difference."

"It's a spectacular innovation," says Edzer Huitema, chief technology
officer of the Dutch firm Polymer Vision, based in Eindhoven. Even
traditional screens, such as cathode-ray tubes, LCDs, and plasma displays,
use three or even four differently colored pixels to generate color. "It's
a major limitation for all color-display technologies," Huitema says. When
the color of each pixel is controlled, not only does the color quality
increase, but the resolution should also improve by a factor of three.

Arsenault predicts that Opalux will have the first products on the market
within two years, probably in the form of advertising displays. But, he
says, it will be a long while before P-Ink will be in a position to
completely replace traditional displays. "The caveat is that we are not at
video speeds," Arsenault says.

this one looks like a keeper! :)

Even if they don't achieve high refresh rates, colour display that can be
manufactured to huge sizes, use little power (and at times NONE) and can
reproduce colours like this - the benefits to photographers editing images
would be awesome!

Maybe not at the editing stage, I'd hate to have to wait a second to see
where my dragged mouse would appear, but on a second 'preview' monitor it
would be great.