Re: [SPAM] Re: NASA news release with PhotoForum connection - sort of

I believe the "shockwave" preceding the star is an electromagnetic phenomenon involving extremely high temperatures and ionized species. The bow shock in front of a bullet can be analyzed quite precisely without the temperatures rising high enough to ionize the gases. A missile, or meteor, or the space shuttle re-entry is another matter. There one has to account for the ionized gases owing to the high speeds and the resultant high temperatures.

Roger