Re: DPI and perception question

Robert,

Agreed. I was hoping that there would be a somewhat subjective approach possible.
So if you enlarge an image that looks OK on one's monitor to some degree to a point
where loss of quality is obviously significant and one starts to see pixelation one
could roughly state that if that image is printed at a final size that is maybe 10%
of the size on the screen it would be OK ... anything larger would be questionable
at best. Or something like that.

Part of this has to do with the fact I am preparing a booklet and I have images that
way exceed the "rule" and others that are borderline or less. I can't enlarge the
latter as much on my screen as the former without seeing pixelation. But they both
should reproduce OK since they meet or exceed specs. But if the prints were reproduced
larger then all bets would be off of course.

I had thought about the screen "resolution" as well but this tends not to be
widely variable among most home computers ... maybe 90 ppi max or something. I agree
that a "test" procedure involving perception and printing etc. would be the way to
go but that sounds like too much work right now ... maybe in the winter months!
But I doubt it!

cheers,
andy