DPI and perception question

Hi,

I think it is customary practice for printers to "demand" image files at 300 dpi (whatever
that is) at final printed size of a reproduction. I guess this is to reproduce images so
they have a high quality and don't look pixelated or something. (I think I have
oversimplified things).

In any case, I was pondering whether one can get a fair idea of whether an image file has
sufficient digital "resolution" so that when printed it will look "good" by looking at the
image at a larger size than what it will be reproduced at. So if I have a 5x5 cm image
file at 300 dpi but I look at it on my CRT or LCD screen at 200% or 300% or 600% or more
magnification and at 300% the image on my screen looks OK ... but at 600% it starts to
fall apart ... is that an indication of anything?

Hope I have not been to obfuscating in this question ... drinking a Snapple only.

cheers,
andy