Re: BEST PHOTOGRAPHY BOOKS?

From: "Steve Harris" :

> A couple of weeks ago, I stopped by the library at the International
> Center of Photography in New York.
> The staff had a list of books that they told me are the most referred to
> photography books by teachers at the ICP.
>
> I have compiled the list, and created links to Amazon.  May of the books
> are out of print, but still available.  Some have become very
> collectible.  Will the others?
>
> What books should be added to the list?
> Which photography books do list members collect and/or refer to?

> Any suggestions for additions would be appreciated.

Nice list there Steve, there are two in particular I'd like to see added:

On the technical side:
Louis Philippe Clerc - Photography, theory and practice (a variety of editions)
<http://www.amazon.com/Photography-theory-practice-Louis-Philippe/dp/B0007HE2FA/ref=sr_1_6/002-4102141-2130407?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1185495370&sr=1-6>

For the best compilation of images I've ever seen:
the Best of Friends series (eg 10th Edition: The Yearbook of Creative Monochrome ) - a compilation of submitted images, selected by the editor as the best from each year - it proved a showcase of exquisite images from around the world often from unknown artists.   <http://www.amazon.com/Best-Friends-10th-Yearbook-Monochrome/dp/1904825001/ref=sr_1_7/002-4102141-2130407?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1185495652&sr=1-7>

Of the latter series, I had book 2 which was kept by the store person at college which was a constant reference for students, was poured over by many and proved a source of inspiration to all who saw the images.  Sadly though it seems while the second hand prices of these books can be high due to collectability, the editor/publisher didn't do so well:
http://www.arempublishing.co.uk/

more of this series is available here:
http://www.bookfinder.com/author/roger-maile/

Roger introduces the book  "The conditions of entry were kept as simple as possible, without limits on the quantity, style or subject matter.. Neither were there any limits .. in terms of amateur or professional status.  Membership of Friends of Creative Monochrome was a requirement but as this cost nothing and involved no purchasing commitment, it was hardly an impediment.

It was made clear from the outset that the selection would be my own choice.  I will forgive those who regard this as a simple symptom of megalomania, as indeed it may be, but I have never felt that a committee was the best forum for decision-making.. Inevitably the single selector will be more vulnerable to the accusation of personal favouritism or bias in terms of style and subject matter, but I still feel selection should be based on conviction rather than compromise"

I hope others here have had the chance to see one or more of these series of books, I have few 'picture books' (Aside from Bob Carlos Clarke's 'The Dark Summer') but Best of Friends is a book which I treasure.

karl