RE: Top 3 things that taught you the most about photography

This doesn't sound like art to me. It sounds like philosophy. The stuff that excellent conversations are made of.

Also not all photography is intended to be art. In fact only a small percentage of working photographers are professional artists.

Whilst they may use the elements of art in their work, such as compositional elements, colour, texture etc.,  they are usually compelled to work within tight parameters of content which may not allow the critical observation neccessary for art.

The technical stuff is only as good as it supports the creative dynamics of the artist/craftsman. There are many great photographers who have only the most fundamental knowledge of the technical process.

It took me 10 years working as a commercial photographer to realize that what I was doing wasn't very "Creative" It was a revelation. Suddenly I saw a whole world of photography and could tell which work was done to make a living and which was done to make a difference.

I salute the people who shoot to make a difference.

Herschel

Mark,

(1) A photograph isn?t a reliable record of objective reality.
(2) The viewer is the subject of the photograph.
(3) A photograph is an object as well as an image. At this point considerations of craft come into play.

AZ

Build a 120/35mm Lookaround!
The Lookaround Book.
Now an E-book.