Re: Ring lights

I have the 580EX, but there's no place to plug anything into it. The only connection for an external device is for the hot shoe, and the photos they show for the ring light don't help. Nor do their pdf operating instructions, which have no illustrations at all. I gather it's a flash as a continuous light source should use TTL just fine.

I have a Coolpix 4500, which was my first digital camera and one I no longer use, and the Nikon Cool-Light SL-1, which threads on the front of the lens. It's a continuous light source with eight leds in a ring structure. I used it only once or twice but it seems to work OK at distances less than about 12 cm. It's clearly for macro use only. Here's a review of it: http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/ User-Guide/Odd-Stuff/Cool-Light-SL-1/SL-1.html

Roger