Re: Ring lights

Bob asks
| Any websites you would recommend for diy led ringlights?
|
| Now I'm off to do a dogpile search.....

How's dogpile these days?  I have to confess Google drew me away from the
metesearch engines ..

here's a few pages:

http://led.linear1.org/a-cheap-current-regulated-luxeon-star-driver-design/

this Luxeon manufacturers page has a resistor calculator built in:
http://www.luxeonstar.com/basic-circuit-design.php

LED's are best driven by a constant voltage with a regulated current to
achieve the colour emission desired (details are available on the Luxeon
site for all their LED's), varying the power changes the colour behaviour -
to get more light you add more LED's, less light, either switch some out of
circuit OR you have to look at 'pulsing' them.  This is done with what is
described as a pulse width modulator which pulses the correct current and
voltage to the LED and varies the frequency of the pulse.

The very first LED circuit I built pulsed the LED for two reasons, I was
driving a 3.7V LED with a 1.5V power source so I basically needed the
design to invert and boost the power and secondly, I believed a boosted
pulsed current could produce more light.  It can, but again, the colour
temperature changed so I dropped the whole idea of pulse width modulation
and settled on simpler circuits.

another circuit:
http://www.instructables.com/id/EAI4SP8967EWIJMLTT/

more: