Re: Photo Freedom, was: Australian TV advert

From: Don Feinberg
>  Try to take a picture today in any US airport and see what happens to
you.
----- ------- -----

The interior of an airport, or a mall, for that matter, is not public
ground. These spaces are administered by corporate or quasi-corporate
entities (Simon Corporation, Melbourne International Airport Commission,
etc.), and are therefore subject to restrictions of what kinds of activities
can be done there. Permission certainly does need to be (and, with tact, can
easily be) secured before photographing inside these places.

----- ------- -----
From: Herschel Mair

> The two lines I might question in Darin's beautiful picture of freedom
> is: "Expect to be hassled" and "It can't hurt to send a friendly, but
> polite letter beforehand"
> Why?
> Is photography so dangerous that we need to get police permission before
> we go somewhere to shoot pictures?

----- ------- -----

First off, when I said "Expect to be hassled," it is so that you can be
prepared to qualify any statement you make about what you are doing, to
dispel suspicion. Then, when everything is airtight, as it should be, and it
is abundantly clear that you are doing nothing wrong, you have a better
experience than you expected. Right?

Second, we do not NEED to get police permission beforehand. In fact, what I
wrote mentioned NOTHING AT ALL about securing access to public areas or
requesting permission of any sort; rather, it was simply geared toward
voluntarily informing the officials of a series of photographic exercises.
This way, as you are approached, they may have some idea of who you are and
what you are doing, and their first thought is "long lens" instead of
"rocket launcher." It never hurts to send a friendly letter to anyone, for
that matter.

The police are there to protect the public interest. If your goal is not
destruction, espionage, or disruption, and are concerned about public
safety, then you are on the same side as the police; they are therefore not
to be considered adversaries. Engage them in conversation, especially if you
can convey your passion for photography and how it is important for the
(historical, promotional, artistic, etc.) reasons which drive your work.

As mentioned on the Bert Krages website, "[n]ote that neither the Patriot
Act nor the Homeland Security Act have any provisions that restrict
photography."

As much as various (typically obnoxious) societal forces try to make you
believe freedom is a quickly waning concept, it is actually very much alive
and well. And thriving. Go out and shoot.

Respectfully,
Darin Heinz
Melbourne, Florida USA