Re: factor schmactor. a lens is a lens

From: "David Dyer-Bennet" <

: I don't believe (it predates me a bit) that people were routinely
: mounting their old familiar 4x5 lenses on their new 35mm bodies.
: Whereas in the DSLR world, we *are*, and in fact the new bodies look
: very much like the old bodies.  Many of us used them side-by-side for a
: while, moving lenses from one to the other in the middle of a shoot.
:
: So the relationship is more relevant now.

I started on 35mm but when I learned about and started using 66, I
familiarised myself with the lenses and their associated relevance to
35mm - that is to say I learned that an 80 was considered normal for that
format.  I went through the same process with 4x5, 8x10, 16mm, half frame,
6x9 and 6x17 - in the end I had no issues and if I wanted say something
that behaved like a 100mm did on a 35mm camera it was nothing for me to
think 'grab the 150mm (or 270mm or 450mm or whatever)

: Yeah, as I said in my physics rant, the physics always wins.  And
: certainly relating to 35mm film equivalent focal lengths is a silly way
: to do things -- *except* for people with a deeply trained-in knowledge
: of what 35mm focal lengths mean.  Which turns out to be...practically
: all the photographers on the planet.

I guess you relate to whatever is familiar - and equivalents aren't that
silly when you consider the way its done currently, which is to ignore the
relevance and just multiply the focal length by 1.4 for camera A or 1.6 for
camera B or 1.8 for camera C - or worse, mark the lens as a 35-70 when it
is actually a 19-39