Re: PF exhibit update 06-02-07

A few comments about this week's gallery:

> The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated May 19 2007. Authors
> with work now on display at:  http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html include:
>
>              Elson T. Elizaga - Among the Red Parrots
An interesting candid picture.  Rather funny I should say, but a bit too busy for my own taste. It would fit well in a sequence of related pictures (e.g. parrots, children and dogs, etc...).  By itself, unfortunately, the picture is pretty well killed because of the missing parrot's head on top of the lady's head.  It shows the potential of what might have been a much stronger image.

>              Herschel Mair - Royal adornment
Another great Mair picture.  Reminiscent of Edward Curtis.  I might have put a tiny bit more light on the top part of the background or put a back light behind the figure's head to make him stand out more . I would definitely have damped the light on the right side of the picture by at least 1/2 up to 1 full stop.

>              Alan Zinn - Stairs, Museum of Contemporary Art, Chicago
Nice picture of an oddly shaped staircase.  I like the two visitors climbing the stairs.  If this had been a staged picture, you might have added another couple down one floor...  I don't like so much the way the picture bleads out into the white background.  Would you consider a thin black line all around the picture.

>              Marilyn Dalrymple - Blue Window in Black and White
I love it! Vintage Marilyn! I'm sure that the color version (if converted from color) is equally beautiful but the B&W adds a wonderful feeling to the image. I might have increased the contrast slightly and burned the little splats of white at the bottom.  Per's referrence to the work of Joseph Sudek is most appropriate.  Please give us more of this kind of work.

>              Andrew Brooks - SEALAND
Extremely well done! I feel as if I was there in the water (on the verge of being seasick...).  There is something of a "back to the future" feeling in this image: the view of the future as seen from the late 1960's.  Nice.

>              Kostas Papakotas - Only Red & Blue
Much more effective than the previous one.  Good balance between the blue and the red and the offset through the darkened green.  Very effective lines and curves.

>              Per Ofverbeck - Anemone Nemorosa
I love that picture!  Reminiscent of the mysterious illustrations of children stories around the turn of the 1900's.  (Anybody remembers the Water Babies?).  Very well done.

>              Emily L. Ferguson  Bike parking
Mysterious, futuristic.  I like the concept but somehow I feel it has been under-acheived.  Cropping the picture down to include only the diagram of the bike rack locations increases this mysterious, futuristic feeling.

>              Guy Glorieux - The shadow of a smile
One of my teachers always cropped down his portrait pictures so as to focus only on a significant detail of the person he would photograph, such that any who knew the person would be able to recognize the person from only that detail.  This picture reminds me of Mona lisa's smile.

>              Roy Miller - Carrots in the Hand
Absolutely terrifying!  I would'nt want to come anywhere close to this hand or these carrots.  Is this a poster for the Fight-genetically-modified-foods movement?  -:)  Well done!

Great gallery!  Thanks to all who contributed.

Guy