Re: Vey quiet lately

Emily - have you thought about a garden project? Something totally different to your normal output? I'd love to see your "diary" of gardening efforts! Me, I'm too lazy for all that hard work!

Howard

Emily L. Ferguson wrote:
This is the first summer since I lost my marriage 13 years ago that I've recovered even the slightest interest in a garden. Last year I half-heartedly put in three tomatoes which only sort of obliged. Tomatoes really are not worth eating unless one grows them oneself. Even the "organic" ones really don't have any idea of what a tomato is.

And when I moved into this house I did get a little fired up about flowering bushes - the house presented a 1.5 storey high cedar shingled wall (18 feet) to the visitor - not even a window because there is a stairway on the inside. Now the rhodi that was scheduled to grow to 10 feet in front of that wall has indeed done it. And right now it's extravagantly colorful, too.

But this year, for the first time, I have been collecting seaweed and mulching things. And using the seaweed to kill the grass where some fresh vegetables might actually thrive. 16 trash barrels of seaweed during the last two weeks, unfortunately one at a time, a 6 mile round trip to the beach at about 3 hours after dead low tide in hopes of getting dry seaweed. Damp seaweed is really heavy and I have to drag the barrel about 60 feet back to the car, most of that in soft sand.

So I upped the tomato plant quotient to 6 and put in 6 basils to go with the tomatoes and maybe make pesto. Last year's pesto wasn't too bad but I had to take basil from friends to have enough.

Gas prices have really put a crimp in my shooting this spring, too, and getting that show up and paying for the mats and frames really shot the checking account as well. So I'm glad my irises and poppies are finally blooming so I have something close at hand to shoot!