gallery this week

Some thoughts:

               Robert G. Earnest - BMW

I'm out of my depth with this sort of work. I do appreciate the white on white problems, and the skills of getting reflections just so, but it's not as though I'm some kind of knowledgeable connoisseur of this set of techniques. So about all I can really say is that the image doesn't excite me, or make me want one. Maybe it's just too deliberate.

               Jim Snarski - Art Nouveau

I feel like the palette is too monochromatic for my taste. A wash of spring greens behind the wings seems more attractive to me. I realize we can't control these things very often but I wish that twig behind the fly weren't there and I wish the head were sharp.

               Per Ofverbeck - iris throat

It might be a walking iris, they only bloom for one day. I like the glow behind the flower's base, but I want more light in front.

               Rene M Hales - Chimayo Courtyard

Well managed assemblage, but I can't reconcile the spirit of the two parts - skeleton and patternd glass.

               Linda Buttstead - beach in fog

This situation has so many possible solutions and I never quite know which one to choose.
What element to use to frame?  The seaweed?  The waterline?  The trees?
How far to get from the picnic table? Far enough to make it an afterthought? Far enough to drown the viewer in sand? What sort of light and how much contrast to express which mood? How much yellow? How low or high the viewpoint? Down on the beach? Standing height? Shooting downwards?

Whatever, over the years I've concluded that there has to be something more/else to make the situation work as a photograph.

               Herschel Mair - Yellow spot

What a scream! Herschel, I love your observing skills. A silly off-the-cuff grab shot but what the hell, why not!

               Russ Baker - smoking man

Just a little tiny bit more light on the guy's right cheek and I'd be happy. That nose really messes up the mood for me. Having it in profile is the problem, undermines the whole period gangster look, for me.

               Emily L. Ferguson - MIT

Foregrounds are really tricky with this sort of thing. If one leaves stuff, like another person, in the foreground, the shot's no longer about the building. If one puts moving people in the foreground, the shot's no longer just about the building. If one leaves great masses of granite stairs there, the shot becomes about the stairs. I was hoping to balance the stairs with the sky and have the building be the subject.

               Bob Sull - Vacation Home - Needs Work

Well, yes.  This is very soft on my LCD monitor.  Musta been a grab shot.

               Howard Leigh - Mixed Tandoori

And this one is soft, too, but a much more difficult situation to grab a shot and have it be sharp. Besides it makes me hungry! Sadly there's nowhere I can find Indian food in my seaside resort town... So I'll settle for enjoying this instead.

Thanks to all, and to our amazing Andy who carries on in the face of an incredible assault on his poor bod. For those of you who haven't had any experience with what Andy's been going through, there's a very illuminating article in this month's Harper's.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx