Re: The state of the list-Don

In a message dated 06/05/2007 16:08:35 GMT Standard Time, herschelmair@xxxxxxxxx writes:
A first-class collection of pictures which presumably was deemed
> inappropriate for the PF Gallery by the photographer.  Yet, he needs
> the assistance of PF list members in selecting the pictures he intends
> to submit to the Royal Photographic Society.
Is it not possible that we were offered the chance to comment as an educational exercise?  Collectively we asked to see Hershel's prize winning photos which he willingly shared with us. Now we have been offered a pre view of a form of special exhibition.

From what I have gleaned in my brief period of membership of the forum it would not have been appropriate for one person to have monopolised the gallery for several weeks and I was recently told that among the functions of the forum was the possibility of showing 'work in progress' and exploring new concepts.

In my chosen profession, Librarianship and Information Provision, I obtained my Fellowship, and for the greater part of my working life I worked as the sole UK representative of my profession for an American company with over 5000 research and development staff in Europe. This gave me a grandstand view of professional isolation, and I can empathise with anyone who feels that their sense of isolation is diminished by joining an internet forum.

By all means build up what you have but don't spend too much time looking back at the 'good old days'.

As a group we should rejoice about those among us who do rant and complain from time to time - at least they care, but maybe the picture is not quite as black as it's being painted. In my view criticism works best if it is convincing and constructive.

Michael