Re: PF main exhibit on 05/07/07

6 maj 2007 kl. 06.47 skrev Guy Glorieux:

Dear fellow members,

Before covering the Gallery submissions this week - this should be easy, since there are only three pictures, one of them being mine -  I want to express my outrage at what is currently happening with the PF list.

What...????  Only three pictures were submitted to the Gallery this week.  This has to be a joke!  There was a time when it could take two weeks or even more before my submission eventually made it to the Gallery site.

What .. is .. going .. on ... ????

....[too long to cite, well worth reading the original...]

Folks, ask yourself this question:  How long will Andy keep running the PF if this is all that we can come up by way of visible work?  Remember: Andy disappeared earlier this winter for health reasons and the list came to a virtual standstill.

If we fail to revamp our commitment, each and everyone of us, to
-  posting truly excellent work on the gallery week after week; and
-  generating discussion and debate around these images; and
-  attracting once again new excellent members,
then I would'nt even put a single kopeck that this list will still be around by the end of the year.

And then, what do we do?  Search for a better group?  Gooood luck!

Regards,

Guy Glorieux

Hear, hear!

Guy, I want to second (almost) every word you say.  I feel ashamed about my recent level of (in)activity.  I do have some personal reasons for it, but I don´t want to go astray in describing them.  And, since I do find time to read the list, and have participated in some less important discussions, my line of defence is a bit weak.

What I have NOT done for a long while is 1) taking the time and making the effort of contributing to the gallery, and 2) sitting down, thinking of what I see, and commenting on what the brave few that persevere have accomplished.  My apologies; I will try to put these things higher on my list.

After all, the members of this list form a substantial percentage of the (informed) audience for my photographic work, and I cannot afford to lose it if I can help it.

OK, after this preamble, there´s just nothing to hide behind: here is my comments on the brave trio this week:

Marilyn Dalrymple, Green and Blue:  Well, it IS "confused, with lines going in every direction", but so are most of Eliot Porter´s work, which I admire highly.  And the colours are  harmonious.  I think this image would win enormously by being large enough, so all those textures and details in the fronds and flowers were visible.  It might be one of those images that you keep finding something new in each day.

Pini Vollach,  Street Shot:  OK, you were standing in the street when you found this abstraction; I sense a bit of irony in your choice of title...  As abstractions go, the picture tells us more about ourselves than about what was in front of the camera.  I like it; I have seen better, and I have produced far worse myself.

Guy Glorieux, The Lovers:  Guy, I have more than half a suspicion, after reading your mail, that your selection was more didactic than aesthetic this time.  A nice and generally "cute" subject when treated this way, in totally impossible lighting and skyscape.  But think of what Atget or Michael Kenna would have done with it, in the wee hours of morning mist...  And, of course, that was the very point you wanted to make.

That´s all, folks!  Now I HAVE to find, and submit, an image for next week.  Go ye all and do the same!

Per Öfverbeck

http://ofverbeck.se

"In a world without walls or fences, who needs Windows or Gates"