Re: Nikon Proud?

Alexander Georgiadis wrote:
This issue of sensor size, pixel count, pixel size,and their effects re: noise and sensitivity got my little brain racing. What if.... someone like Fuji built a full frame 4X5 digital back using the latest sensor technology, but instead of cramming a zillion pixels, limited it to, say, a reasonable 12 (HUGE)mega pixels? Would that not create not only the "quietest" camera in the world but also the fastest (due to incredibly high maximum ISO and the potential of an integrated electronic "shutter")? In theory it should not cost much, as making large pixels should be easier than tiny ones.Would this not hail the return of the "press camera"?!

It's not that hard, using integrated circuit fabrication techniques, to make things very small. What's hard is to make a single large item without fatal flaw; since flaws land pretty much at random on the die.

Actually, 4x5 doesn't even fit on what I think of as integrated circuit dies; I dunno what they're using these days, though, the trend is always towards bigger pieces.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b@xxxxxxxx; http://dd-b.net/dd-b
Pics: http://dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum, http://dd-b.net/photography/gallery