RE: Nikon Proud?

Hi David,
I guess to each his own with regard to digital or film, but concerning
printing I'm really only referring to B&W as I do very little with color
photography; and I think only recently has the technology truly arrived for
B&W printing - considering ink saturation, and the papers available and so
forth. That said, I can appreciate your romance with digital - it certainly
is an exciting alternative.

You're also dead on about the ease of PS compared to the darkroom: It is
much faster and more precise, and far more powerful. But, while I even
prefer to use PS, I'd hate to see mankind throw away 200 years of technology
to the digital age; and there still is the romance aspect, that I mentioned
before...

Many years ago I used to be a furniture designer - high-end, commercial
furniture, mostly - executive chairs and so forth. The photographer we would
hire to photograph my designs, for brochures and whatnot, was truly a
professional, and quite a well-known architectural photographer. He
understood his craft extremely well - manipulating light, timing exposures,
calculating f stops with a notepad and stubby pencil; taking test shots with
a Polaroid back to make sure everything was perfect before shooting on
transparencies. And the final result was a gorgeous print with tremendous,
vibrant color. No Photoshop, no editing, just complete cause and effect,
thoroughly in, predictable, control.

This is the type of photographer that I hope to aspire to. Present company
excepted, but it seems today that anyone who can afford a nice digital SLR
and decent lens can call themselves a photographer; that they take a
mediocre picture and change it later to make it perfect is all that matters.
Call me old fashioned but there's no magic in this for me. I feel like this
is what we're becoming with our technological advancements...

No offense intended to anyone, by the way.

PW