Re: Help identify this lens

Elgenper wrote:

21 apr 2007 kl. 12.02 skrev karl shah-jenner:

Yup.. all of the copy cameras I've come across have had lenses with
irises - the agfa repromaster I last stripped had a 150mm, a G-Claron 210mm
and a 270mm (all Rodenstock ) - and again, all had irises.

One of the reasons copy cameras had irises was to control DOF for, believe
it or not, quite a bit of photography of 3D objects was done under these
things.

OK, I stand corrected. I wasn´t aware of that kind of use for these cameras. I can surmise, however, that some historical documents may be a bit crumpled, or bound into a book, and too fragile and valuable to attempt flattening them. In such cases, stopping down would be necessary.
Another reason for irises is exposure control. You cannot just adjust time because, on occasion, you will have reciprocity failure especially with the high contrast materials. So you focus wide open and then stop down about 2 stops for maximum sharpness and then work with exposure time and aperture. It's just basic photography in a different setting.
Don