Re: Help identify this lens

Having worked with engraving cameras, and looking at this mount, I would not be surprised if that was it's intended use. I believe someone else also suggested that. B&L was not noted though for lenses for this purpose so the possibility is there for it to be used on a bulk film aerial type camera or a high speed camera or some other scientific or technical use. It was probably intended for use in cameras that had built in focal plane shutters or required long exposures or something similar.
Don

Louie Powell wrote:
Tim -
I'm inclined to believe that while this lens may have been intended for
photographic purposes, it does not appear to be a standard large-format
lens.  My guess would be that it might have been part of either a
motion-picture camera, or a special purpose (eg, aerial) military camera
system.

B&L are known today mainly as a manufacturer of eyeglasses and contact
lenses, but they were part of the "optical mafia" that grew up in the
Rochester area a century ago.  They manufactured lenses for a wide variety
of applications, and as Andy noted, supplied lenses to Haloid - which later
morphed into Xerox.  However, I doubt that this was a copying machine lens -
there would not a reason for a copying machine manufacturer to invest in the
added cost of an adjustable aperture for their application.

Edmund Scientific (and a bunch of similar companies) routinely offer lenses
like this.  Don't know that I would believe the value listed on the German
web site - after all, since you paid a buck for it, it has to be worth at
least that much.

Louie