Re: Calling all photo MacGyvers

Title: Re: Calling all photo MacGyvers
Hi!

Perhaps not to overemphasize the capabilities of technology.
Things are possible, but where facts are missing, one has to interpolate or simulate or guess.

There was a school of phytosociologists who, having a sample of, say 100 releve quadrats from a forest, used bootstrap or jackknife techniques to recombine existing data, as if it was completely adequately recorded from nature. These pseudodata was added to the original data pool. The more variety in the source data, the better results with recombinations. They even compared the original variety with the recombined variety and claimed, that in this way it is possible to investigate, what the "G.. Almighty" had in mind when creating that ecosystem and what really happened.

With images it is quite similar story. It is possible to use the existing variety and patterns and expect, that the missing part belongs to the overall system.
But if the missing part of detail is unique, then nothing can help. You can only multiply the noise.

I think the plot might include all these trials/failures to show that technology, however high, cannot do miracles and if the investigator has enough deductive or inductive thinking ability, it is possible to achieve some results (if lucky).

About knives there is an scenario, that popped up to my mind.
For example in Scandinavia there are old and famous nordic knife (puukko therein) factories and several manufactors, but the overall number of most known producers is quite limited (Helle and Brusletto in Norway, Mora and Karesuando in Sweden, Iisakki Järvenpää, Roselli, Kellam in Finland etc.).
The list of models is also commonly known in the world, so the make gives the hint where the knife was made.
There are also some few famous resellers in America (e.g. Ragnar's Ragweed Forge, Cloudberry Market Scandinavian Treasures etc.)
Several factories or resellers offer some custom engraving to some models and presumably they have their books . . . So the customers can be found post factum.
I do not know other makes so well (lots of combat knives or Bowies or Kukris or Panama Jacks by Busse, KA-BAR, Kershaw, SpetsNaz GRU etc., but these are perhaps less specific, but I may be wrong).
There are also damascus blades or Wootz blades, that may also be blacksmith-specific, hence backsearchable . . .
My twopence . . .

Regards,

Peeter