Re: Calling all photo MacGyvers

There is no lost data between the pixels of a digital image or the
grains of a negative.  You can't recover what was never there to get
lost.

I recall reading an article in an IEEE journal about a method for
removing motion blur.  You could change the problem to removing camera
shake instead of dealing with a lack of focus.

I also assume it might be possible to correct for aborations in the
lens.  If you have a reference object near the markings of interest you
might be able to correct for some focus problems.  Think of how giant
telescopes use a laser beam as a reference and deform the mirror to
correct for any apparent smearing of that reference.  You might be able
to use the knife edge as a reference.  Assume the edge is straight or
actual a nice smooth curve.  Apply appropriate (this might be too much
like magic) transformation to clear up the knife edge.  Since the
markings are very close to the edge they might get cleaned up too.

Iv'e never heard of this type of image improvement, but sounds
plausable.

Tim Corio