Re: Colour Processing and Grain

: Can someone more knowledgeable than me please confirm that in
: traditional colour processing - negative C41 and print RA4 processes,
: that the end result, negative or film, will not contain any *silver*
: grains at all?

they do not ..

: My understanding is that the bleach fix step if properly applied
: converts all silver metal to silver cations (by the ferric containing
: EDTA, and the ammonium thiosulfate then removes all the silver halide,
: i.e. silver cations?

that's th way it's supposed to work! :)

:
: A colleague on another forum has suggested that all colour prints
: produced by the wet colour print process will show silver grains...
: He quoted the Kodak reference:
:
<http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/support/techPubs/e58/e58.jhtml
:
<http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/support/techPubs/e58/e58.jhtml

: as confirming his point, but it doesn't tie in with the chemistry that I
: understand. I think they are using the silver grain produced in
: traditional B&W prints as the standard for comparison.
: (I'm probably being very pedantic here!)

I read this in the top page ref:

"DEFINITIONS
Grain  A particle of metallic silver or a cloud of dye in a photographic
emulsion. Exposed silver halide crystals in raw emulsion that become grains
in the photographic process.  "

'cloud of dye' is what's left in c41/e6/ra4 after processing