Re: Ancestral photos

This is an ongoing area of discussion in the computer industry that
still doesn't have a perfect solution.

Even a CD has a shelf life.  I think their not expected to last more
that five or ten years.  As pointed out, you can't count on a particular
media to be available for many years.  I no longer buy computers with
floppy drives.  If I had something important on a floppy it would soon
be lost to me.

For those with large libraries of must-not-lose images you should keep
multiple hard drives with your content.  Along with an empty drive that
you will rotate through.  On some schedule (Perpahs every six months)
re-format the empty drive and copy one of your hard drives to it.  Now
the source drive is the empty drive in six months.

By copying the entire disk you will find any failure in your hard
drives.  Since you have multiple copies of this drive you can easilly
recover by going to the backup copy.  Also, since you're doing the copy
every six months you should still be able to read the old drive when it
comes time to copy your files to a new type of media.

File formats can also change.  You have software to read your RAW file
now.  But, will there be an application to read it when you start using
"whatever" version of Windows ten years from now?  This is a harder
problem.  File formats can get orphaned, leaving you with no way to use
the files you have so carfully backed up.  If you're using a well known
brand (Canon, Nikon,...) you will probably be able to find an open
source application even if the manufacurer abandons you.  So I would not
worry about this.

Tim Corio