Re: Rochester Resources for macro equipment

I've never gotten very good results using a scanner.  The main problem
is poor contrast.  Also, the lack of lighting control usually results in
results that are not quite right.

For examples of what we've done with a scanner see
http://www.the-rna.com/medals.php.  Click on each medal to see a larger
image.

For imageing the entire coin I'm using a Canon 5D with a Canon EF 100mm
F2.8 Macro USM lens.  This gives great results for 1x magnification.  I
also want to capture small details on a coin.  I'll need between 4x and
10x magnification to capture features about the size of the date on a
coin.  And between 20x and 40x to capture the detail of a small letter
on a coin.  For example, the words "In God We Trust" on a dime.

Thanks,
Tim