Re: Watt-seconds in flash

Hmmm... this is making me think too much for a Friday. See below.......

Herschel Mair wrote:

OK guys...

Well perhaps I have it wrong...

Correct my arithmetic:

1 joule per second is a watt.

1 watt second is 1 joule per second  for 1 second

500 watt seconds is 500 joules per second for 1 second

(or in the case of a theoretical flash unit,  its 500 000 joules for 1/1000th of a second)

A 500 watt lamp, burning for one second is 500 joules too so a 1-second exposure should give the same amount of  energy (light) to the sensor/film as a single burst from a 500 ws flash.... 500 joules????

The "single burst" is actually a 500 000 W light for a duration of 1/1000 sec which equals 500 joules

Where did I go wrong?

My point was:

In a perfect world, a single burst on a 500 WS flash unit should require the same aperture as a 500W tungstren light at 1 second exposure which is also 500 WS.

(Not allowing for the inefficiency of the tungsten lamp)

A good part of the energy is given out as heat in both systems so it becomes impossible to actually relate watt-seconds to light output.

Herschel Mair
Head of the Department of Photography,

Higher College of Technology
Muscat