white point (was custom white balance)

At 05:52 PM 2/1/2007, you wrote:
lea murphy wrote:
Some camera mfgs say to balance to white, some say gray.
Does it matter?
Why or why not?

It probably depends on the camera. It's important that no channel be clipped in the image it build the white balance from, and that's probably easier to do on a white card than a gray. Depending on the workflow for custom whitebalance in that camera.
--
David Dyer-Bennet

I am curious why so much emphases is placed on in camera white point correction. It just seems so trivial to adjust the white point that I set my camera to auto and don't worry about it. I use Picturewindow Pro as my image editor of choice. It takes two or three seconds to correct any hue or color cast problems. If something in the image isn't white just make it so and every thing else falls in place. For PS users there is a plug in available for PC an Mac at:

http://www.colormechanic.com/

Here i the URL for an example I used in another discussion:

http://www.pbase.com/dave6134/image/72302629/original

The warm image was with ambient light from a sixty watt bulb (about 3000K) behind an off white shade. The cool image is an attempt to approximate light from noon daylight from a north window (about 6000K). The white point could have been moved to any degree Kelvin between the two or beyond.

Am I missing something here with this white correction thing?

Dave
East Englewood
The proof is in the print.