Subject: Re: Good camera for non- pro uses
From: Howard <home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, December 31, 2006 9:33 am
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
<photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Robert McCulloch wrote:
> Hi, I'm currently looking also, Canon G7 and S3, that's what I've
> narrowed
> it down to... RJM
>
> On 12/30/06, William Ellis <wb9cac@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I guess I'm getting to the point of needing a camera for general
>> use(vacations, family gatherings, etc.) so I don't have to take the
>> equipment I use for pro use. I'm looking for a small to medium size unit
>> with zoom, optical and digital focusing, and enough megapixels to render
>> decent prints sh ould I want to do something with the occasional good
>> image I might shoot. I would like the ability to at least get a good
>> 8x10 print, if needed. There are a multitude of choices out there and
>> the more I look, the more confusing it gets. What are some of you using
>> for casual shooting.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Bill Ellis

Only real weakness for G7 is battery life.
Otherwise, no problems whatsoever.
You have completely idiot proof settings (I keep mucking these up!!) or
full manual control.
Zoom range excellent, and prints up to A3 easily if using low ISO settings.
I also love having a proper hot shoe.
The video mode is also very useful.

Howard