Re: Blowing-up a file

Guy writes:
: I am interested in knowing the group's experience with blowing-up files
for
: printing to very-large format.  I am working with a Sony A100 10
megapixel
: DSLR and I am curious to find out how far I can blow-up a picture.

have a look here Guy for a guide to algorithms relating to upward
interpolation - really, REALLY worth a look!

http://www.americaswonderlands.com/digital_photo_interpolation.htm

and a point I've made before: different algorithms are better for different
jobs, so it's well worth knowing which one is best for whatever you are
doing..

a basic primer can be found here:
http://www.interpolatethis.com/interp.html

: What is the best program to use?

not so much the program, as what the program offers in the way of upsizing
algorithms (inherently or as a plugin).  Photoshop's default is bicubic
(eww!)  it also has bilinear.  That's all it offers..

and beating a far from dead horse again - Irfanview has the inbuilt
algorithms :
Bell
B-Spline
Hermite
Lanczos
Mitchell
Triangle (and Irfanview is both free and tiny! :)

: How far can I go on enlarging the file?

that very much depends on the image ;)

S spline is rather nice too I might add..

However if it's for a print then I'd recommend examining the output of
various RIP's from whatever each printer offers, often they'll do a FAR
better job than any of the RIP's available to us photographers.  Using a
RIP is less demanding time wise on the computer too, and prevents the
printer falling in a heap when it gets a terabyte image sent to it (!)  The
best way to do this is to select a small portion of the image and have
enlarged X times to make say an 8x10..  have them print this and look at
the results with a critical eye.

hope this helps..
karl