Question abt. new wide screen lcd monitors

Hi,

I am thinking of buying a new 19 or 20 inch Wide screen monitor, as a second monitor for my laptop for graphics use (Photoshop).

I want to use the new monitor for the images and the old 15" native one for the tools,etc.

That being said, I tried one 19" Samsung with a vendor for 10-15 minutes, but I could not get the correct resolution as my video card had only the 4:3 resolutions except the 1900*1050 which also did not work.  In the end I ended either with distorted fat images, or 4:3 resolution on a wide screen monitor.

Is there anybody that uses such a setup and has an answer to that dilemma?

The on-board video card is ATI mobility radeon, and the notebook is compaq evo N800v.

Regards,
Veli Izzet