Re: DPI-was Image cathedral at Les Baux

Guy Glorieux wrote:
I'm still a bit confused about what I'm not doing right.
Take for instance the specifics of a picture I might want to submit to the Gallery.
--  Original Image size: 2592 x 1944 pixels at 180dpi (14,4M)

Reduce to gallery format:
--  New Image size: 500 x375 pixels at 72 dpi (550K)

Save to 80K:
--  JPEG compression 7/12 (medium)

For some reason, I don't find the results very acceptable, at least when I make the comparison with -- for instance -- the amount of details in Renate's beautiful "Mykat Watching Fall" which also weighs only 80K.  Is it because the original picture is too small or too big?  Should I do an Unsharp Mask before reducing or after reducing?  Is there a particular routine that I should use to reduce the image size?
Are you using Photoshop or Imageready? I find there's a significant difference in actual image quality, with Imageready superior.

Howard