Re: DPI-was Image cathedral at Les Baux

Lea:
: But for some of us, thinking in pixel dimensions is not the most
: natural. I would much rather work in inches and let the pixel
: dimensions fall where they will. Three hundred for prints, 75 for web
: and screen.
:
: I need to go back and read all the posts about this. I have looked at
: them but not yet absorbed them.
:
: Lea
: (who is likely missing something still on grasping all this)

Jeff writes:
It may not be natural..

and that's so very true.

None of this is natural, it's however the way things really are - much as
knowing the effects of sodium sulphite in a developer was one of those
things people had to learn, and why one one hand it was good to have it in
developers, on the other, why too much was not always a good thing.

Best thing really is to think in pixels.

think 1600 x 1200 for screen = too big
think 800x600 for screen = acceptable
think 200x150 for screen = small (thumbnail)

for printing think: 300x whatever = 1" by whatever
600x whatever = 2" by whatever
2400 x whatever = 8" x whatever

really, just remember 300 pixels = an inch for printing for optimal quality
(unless you're going billboard then there are other considerations you can
make)

for screen, there are no hard and fast rules aside from the misnomer about
"72 dpi" which unfortunately is wrong :/

To be honest, Photoshop really is the main cause for this confusion and
it's something everyone goes through until they realise what a pixel is,
how many are needed and just how d*mned annoying photoshop is by defaulting
to tangling "dpi" (ppi) up with the resizing option (grrrr!)  - In short,
your confusion is entirely understandable.. you'll get it though, of that
I'm sure ;)

Karl