sensor cleaning

Just in from a friend:

"People are wondering why I'm yelling shakespeare at my camera.  I have an
annoying spot on all my photos. I have edited most of them out of the ones
Iput on the web but too much lazy now.  Check out "first view of Davis" and
"Anchorage island".

I know there is a self clean function on the camera but my colleague pushed
that button on his, a nikon, and it made it worse.  What do you counsel?
Windex and a rag?"

.. the problem is the guy is in antarctica (!) with not a lot of access to
mail order supplies.  Anyone here been in a remote location with a
desperate need to clean a sensor who found a way to do it safely?