Re: Basic shutter testing methods for digital cameras

James,

You are quite right. However, some added thoughts. I guess I was constrained (or experiencing tunnel vision) by the method as used in my classroom for many years where we use 33 1/3 rpm turntables and 12 inch diameter (I believe that is what they are) records ... music records. In the overview of the methods I do mention that one can raise the shuter speed tested to higher values by using faster turntable speeds. We also, of course, assume the turntable is turning at stated RPM. It is mentioned however that questioning the "standard" is yet another matter so we assume that they are.

As for photographing the moving dot close-up that is a good thought but then synchronization of the exposure with the time of passage of the moving dot across the sensor becomes a significant problem. Of course, in a photoinstrumentation course the students might be asked to come up with ways of synchronizing the exposure with the passage of the dot! ;)

Just some thoughts ... thanks,

Andy

It's not clear to me what the cause of the inaccuracy is with the use of a turntable for shutter calibration / measurement above the shutter speed of 1/3oth second.

If one posits a turntable plate 24 inches in diameter rotating at 78 RPM, then the edge is passing a spot at about 98 inches per second. If the table plate were constructed with holes in it near the edge with each hole being about 1 mm in diameter and a very bright light behind it, then the light streak for the hole would have the following arc lengths:

1/30th    -  3.3 in
1/100th   -  0.98
1/200th   -  0.49
1/500th   -  0.20
1/1000th  -  0.10

(values rounded)

Using a macro lens that allows 1-1 or better, you would be looking at a real image size on the sensor of 1 1/2 times that value ( for DSLRs with an image magnification factor of 1.5 ). Surely that would be enough to get quite accurate measurements to at least the 1/500th second shutter speed.

Just a thought,

James