Re: [SPAM] Tax for photographers in public places

Interesting,

When I did a fashion shoot in Cancun I got a workers permit from the Mexican Consulate here In San Jose CA.
As I was shooting, I would get some funny looks or inquiries from the local police or security firms, but when I showed them the workers visa ( It looked like a passport with the Mexican National Emblem on it) all sorts of doors were suddenly opened.

All of a sudden I had a Security and a  Police liason officer, transportation assistance, location scouts (DOH) and invitations to come and shoot at this Hotel or at that  (private) Hacienda. I am not kidding, it was really cool.

At first I thought we were going to get mugged out back somewhere, but we had (people) looking out for us all the time, go figure.   I brought an assistant to help hold reflectors and carry gear and he nearly got into a fight with a guy over who was going to carry my camera bag. That little booklet got us through Military checkpoints, police blockaids etc. I was going to use to pay the hotel bill but....

I have always found that it is easier to get the permits and or licenses you need in advance, than it is at the time of the shoot.

If you need it get it in advance and get the supervisors name in that area, Try to send friendly emails or even better a letter on your letter head along with a business card well in advance so that they have some idea of who you are. This work really well when you get one of the officers from that org who has no idea that you will be onsite. name dropping along with paperwork will reduce the hassle factor to a 10 min break.

Thanks, great question,

Les Baldwin